Adjacent to the Gothic, Victorian Town Hall in Albert’s Square, the Grade II listed, Memorial Hall was originally built between 1863 and 1866, to commemorate the bicentennial anniversary of the 1662 Act of Uniformity. In the late nineteenth century the hall provided a meeting place for high society Victorian societies.
Designed by famous local, Salford architect Thomas Worthington, it is Venitian Gothic in style and has ornate stone tracery on all the windows.The extensive regeneration project was undertaken over a number of phases, with the purpose being to extend the useful life of the building and upgrade the building to accommodate a restaurant unit in the basement and ground floor levels and lettable office space to the upper floor.
Work to the exterior of the building was undertaken with great care and attention to detail, and included;
- Stone & brickwork cleaning, pointing and restoration
- Structural repairs to the shell of the building
- Careful repairs to the existing stonework
- Replacement of doors, window frames, sash windows – in keeping with the original building style
- Roofing works, repairs to rain pipes and guttering
Internally, we carried out structural repairs to the interior shell of the building, installed a lift shaft through the building from basement level and undertook internal office refurbishments such as fitting of internal doors, replacement of skirting, architrave etc. All the works were carried out whilst the offices were occupied, so careful planning was required to ensure the occupants were able to enjoy continued safe use of the premises. This included but was not limited to the forming of access routes and temporary toilet facilities.